Benefitting Charities

While the Tug of War is designed to be fun, there is a serious purpose for all this tomfoolery: raising money for local charities. MRE is a Section 501(c)(3) organization.

When the winners and losers on each side are tabulated, either Eastport or Annapolis is declared the winning side. MRE has designated 10 local charities to benefit from funds raised in the name of the Tug of War.

  • Annapolis Maritime Museum - for dock repair and improvements to grounds
  • Chesapeake Children's Museum - to assist with renovations and support children's programs
  • Christmas in April -to sponsor the rehabilitation of a house in Annapolis Eastport Wooden Boat Program- to purchase lumber to replace the chine & hull of 'Miss Lonesome'
  • Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner Race - to promote awareness and preservation of the Bay
  • Homes for America, Inc. - to promote affordable housing through a revolving fund program
  • OIC - to assist employment-oriented adult basic education activities, including English as a Second Language
  • Reading is Fundamental -to purchase books for Eastport Elementary School students
  • Salvation Army - General Operating Funds
  • S.P.C.A. - General Operating Funds

Distribution Formula

All corporate sponsors (not team sponsors) are entitled to designate 70% of their donations to the charity of their choice. The remaining 30% of these monies is distributed to the local charities chosen by MRE. Funds are distributed after expenses have been deducted.

2001 Tug-of-War Benefitting Charities Distribution Amounts

2000 Tug-of-War Benefitting Charities Distribution Amounts

1999 Tug-of-War Benefitting Charities List


We Like it This Way. Up the Republic!

results 2001| results 2000 |
| about the Tug | schedule | teams | rules | rope | rituals | benefiting charities | sponsors |
| where to watch | shop | photo gallery | media coverage | contacts |
| Tug home | MRE home |

Web design by